Through this page, we are bringing to you the steps and materials required in the preparation of the delicious Balushahi sweet.
- Plain Maida ( flour)
- Melted and cool Ghee- 3/4 cup
- Curd - 1/2 cup
- Soda -1/4 tsp
- Cardamom powder -1/4 tsp
- Ghee to deep fry
For Syrup :
- Sugar- 1 ½ cup
- Water- ¾ cup
- A few drops of lemon juice
- Mix flour and soda, sieve it together and add cardamom powder, then rub the mixture thoroughly in ghee.
- Now, add curd to it and mix. Make stiff dough and cover it and keep aside in a cool place for half an hour. After a while, make small round balls around 3" diameter; press the balls to make them flat and then make a depression in the centre (to give it a typical Balushahi shape).
- Take a thick bottom frying pan and heat the ghee, cool the ghee a bit and then put a few Balushahi patties into the ghee. Fry it at low flame and do not turn the Balushahis till they become pinkish.
- Repeat the same for all Balushahi pieces.
- Drain the pieces, cool a bit and then put them into the sugar syrup. Allow to soak for 5 minutes.
- Remove and keep on a perforated plate to drain excess syrup.
- Now reheat the remaining syrup till 2-1/2 thread consistency is attained and coat the above portion of Balushahis with this thick syrup.
- Keep it on mesh to cool and allow the sugar to set. You can, now, decorate it as per your wishes.