Rakhi is called by different names in different parts of India. This section brings to you the different names of Raksha Bandhan. Rakhi Poornima or Rakhi has different traditions in different parts of India.
Different Names of Rakhi
Raksha Bandhan is celebrated on full moon day, called "Rakhi Purnima". In different parts of India, Raksha Bandhan is celebrated by different names, though the significance remains the same.
- In northern and western part of India, Raksha Bandhan is also called "Rakhi Purnima".
- In Western Ghats and the adjoining regions Rakhi is called "Nariyal Purnima" to signify the full moon like coconut.
- In southern part of the India Raksha Bandhan is celebrated as "Avani Avittam / Upakarmam
- Central India celebrates Rakhi as "Kajari Purnima".
- Raksha Bandhan is celebrated by the name of Pavitrapana in the western parts of India.